A Fun-Filled Weekend in Iceland!!

On Friday 24th February 2017, a group of 40 excited students and 5 King’s teachers, as well as a tour guide, flew over to Reykjavik, Iceland.  They arrived at school at 9:00am sharp and left for the airport, ready to embark on a journey they will never forget.  The Iceland air flight took approximately two and a half hours, where you could watch television, listen to music and charge your phone.  To the students delight, there were free drinks on the flight! When they arrived, they went straight to the bridge between continents, which is in both North America and Europe.  Later in the day, they took a trip to Gunnuhver hot springs, and saw some unbelievable sights.

The excitement continued on Saturday in the Reykjavik town centre, where students shopped before travelling to Thingvellir National Park, where many students had snow ball fights with their friends.  They then went to the Gullfoss Waterfall and finally the secret lagoon, a naturally heated lagoon, and arrived back at the hotel at 9:30pm.

Sunday’s adventures started at 7am sharp and to the students’ amazement, they woke up to 51cm of snow!  This was the most amount of snow in one sitting since the 1930s!  Unfortunately, the snow played havoc with their plans and the teachers had to quickly find a way to entertain 40 snowed-in students!  Mr Bowden quickly saved the day by creating a group competition with three rounds: Highest snow tower, best photo opportunity and a games round.

Luckily by 2pm, their fantastic bus driver Joel managed to dust the snow off his coach and rescue them from the hotel!  After a quick stop at the town centre where the teachers were adventurous and tried fermented sharks (Mrs Davison was the only fan!), they were back on the coach and ready to see some Icelandic sights! Two highlights were the Seljalandsfoss waterfall which was a magnificent sight to see and Black beach which is famous for its basalt columns and freak waves.

After this action-packed day, it was straight to bed as breakfast was 4:30am ahead of their 8:10am flight home.  It was safe to say that nearly every student and teacher struggled to stay awake on the journey home.

Overall, it was a fascinating and valuable experience for the Geography students and one they most certainly won’t forget!



Comments are closed.